Multiple-Input Tiny Enhanced Wireless Instrumentation System
The MITE WIS system is a wireless data acquisition system for near-static sensing and recording applications. It is a multi-channel cousin to and can operate in conjunction with both the ELMWIS™ and MicroWIS-XG™ systems.
The MITE WIS Remote Unit (pictured) is a small, extremely low-power, autonomous, wireless device designed for extended data acquisition and recording. The units can be configured for any resistive sensor: strain gauges, resistive thermal devices (RTDs), pressure sensors, humidity sensors, accelerometers, etc. There are three modes of data transfer:
1. A unit transmits its data in real-time to the Receiver allowing for both error detection and retransmissions. The Receiver passes this information to the Application Software for immediate graphical display and storage to an ASCII file.
2. A unit stores its data in 2 Mbyte of non-volatile memory (capable of storing 2 years of data when sampling four channels at one sample per 5 minutes). This data is later downloaded via RF to the Receiver and Application Software for graphical display and storage on the PC.
3. A combination of modes 1 and 2 above; the unit transmits the information in real-time while storing the data locally.
- Sample Rate: Programmable from 1 per 15 seconds to 1 per hour
- Lifetime: 2 years at 1 sample per minute
- Approximate Size: 6cm x 6.3cm x 2.5cm
- Up to 4 external channels per unit
- The units can support any resistive sensor type.
View the full MITE WIS Technology Profile (MITE WIS data sheet.pdf)
The Common Applications and Sensor Unit Selection Guide provides for more information regarding common transducers and applications.
MITE WIS Application Spotlight
The Multiple-Input Tiny, Enhanced Wireless Instrumentation System, MITE WIS, is currently being used to monitor repaired concrete sections of the Westerschelde Tunnel in the Netherlands. The MITE WIS units help detect problems in the repairs to the sections that have been covered by a layer of high-temperature fireproofing. Click here for more information about this MITE WIS application.